There was an error in this gadget

Sunday, June 26, 2011

I'm a Commando

Saturday was my second time racing the Go Commando 5K Adventure Challenge (obstacle course) by Team Ortho and I would have to say that I did much better!  I trained this time, I ran most of it, and I only went around like 3 obstacles, after trying them at first.  I started at 10:15, and had a yellow rubber wristband -- much better idea than last time!  My goal was to complete in under an hour.

I thought the hardest part was getting through the first mile. I'm not a hill runner (yet) and running on farmland is very challenging. The first obstacle was about a 1/4 mile in (I'm guessing) and it was HUGE hay bales stacked on top of each other. I was already tired! But I crawled my short legs up as best I could. Then it was running into a "lake" and up a hill. On the hill was my quote I won the contest with:
Don't limit your challenges. Challenge your limits.  
All I could think was, "SHIT! Now I have to work harder!" The cool water did feel good. The next obstacle was at the 1 mile marker, and it was giant wooden spools.  (I should mention that at this point, I was like 4th from last in my wave, and the next wave at 1030 was about to start.)  I stopped in front of the spool and the other folks back with me crawled under.  Looked like a good idea to me! ( I have to mention that one of the women tried to go around, and ended up walking right into a cow pie, that was planted there on purpose! hahahah!) I didn't feel I had the strength to jump up or pull myself up and then jump, skip over.   It was down another hill on some flat land, up a hill heading to the next obstacle... where I had to pass my quote a second time!  Focus, focus...

More obstacles, more hills, more mud, more jumping... I won't go into details about all the obstacles on the 2nd mile.  Once I conquered the Monster Hill from Hell, I have to admit that I may have found a 2nd wind.  I was able to run a lot more than I thought I could. When I got to go down the water slide, into the mud, I knew I was almost at the end and really found myself excited to finish.

Last obstacle right before the finish was the swamp. I tried jumping in and immediately fell down, but kept my head above! There were things to go under and then climbing out, more slipping in mud, and the finish line. After I crossed, I could hear them announce yellow group. I made it under an hour! Barely, but I made my goal!  YAY ME!!!! :)

Now it's onto the Warrior Dash at Afton Alps on July 23rd. Right now I'm in the 11:00 wave. I'm debating switching to the 6:30 wave to be with a friend, but not sure if I'll get more race jitters or what. I'm used to the morning races, and with kids, I could be worn out by then! But my husband could come watch, which would be a huge plus!  I have to make a decision by Friday.

1 comment:

  1. One day I will do a Commando race. You are an inspiration for getting out there and tackling it! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete