There was an error in this gadget

Monday, July 4, 2011

Happy Independence Day 2011!

Freedom. It means so many different things to so many people. In 1975, my parents fought for the freedoms of themselves and their children. They had to flee by foot, with young children from the village they lived in of Cambodia to a refugee camp in Thailand, escaping the Khmer Rouge.  My brother and I were born in Thailand, and we came to the US on May 9th, 1979.  We had to go through the process of becoming citizens, which is really not a difficult task, but it isn't super easy either.  Freedom means more to me as a military wife and also a refugee.

Today we celebrate America's freedom from the British.  This last year, I've been working to free myself from lots of things: stress, excess weight, ill health, drama... Every day I knew I could let things keep me from succeeding, or free myself from the all the baggage. In some cases, it meant talking less to some friends.  We can all free our minds and keep the bad thoughts/advice from taking over.  I needed to surround myself with people who would motivate me and also pick me up when I needed it.

This weekend has been a good one. On Saturday, we went to Valleyfair with the kids and I didn't get tired from all the walking. Killer sunburn though :-p I think if I had done this last year, I would have been tired and sore.  Sunday, I then ran all of Lake Phalen without walking!  Last year, I was only able to walk most of it. I know I would have tried, but completely given up.  I also would never have run 3.1 miles after a day at Valleyfair! There was no giving up yesterday.  It made me wonder if I could have run 4 miles and how long it would have taken me. I could go for a run now if we had the time.  I stepped on the scale after my run before the shower and I saw that my BMI had dropped and that I also had lost some fat pounds. I really wonder if it got burned off... I wish I could hear that sizzle in the sun!!

I've been saying for a few weeks now that I'm frustrated with Weight Watchers. Mainly I think it's the leader, but I also know it's my own lack of accountability. I'm having such a difficult time with tracking the WW way. I'm not sure if it's the points, or just tracking in general. I also find my leader to be quite unmotivating. I go to the meetings on Weds over lunchtime. It can't get any more convenient than that!  I know I have to find it in myself to get the weight off.  And free my own negative thoughts and excuses for why it's such a challenge for me to track. I know it isn't an easy process, but I also don't quite know why it's such a struggle.

So freedom. I celebrate it. I want to be free of many things. I have big goals for next summer, for my health and for shopping!  I want to be free of this body that was holding me back! I want to be free of the thoughts that keep me from all the successes I want to achieve.  I know I can achieve.  This is what I'm thinking of today.

3 comments:

  1. Happy Independence Day! thanks for sharing the story of how you came. Valley Fair . . . someday I'll go back. I know I still dont fit in most rides right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said, keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete