There was an error in this gadget

Monday, August 8, 2011

15

This coming Saturday is my 15 year high school reunion. Just saying that makes me feel old... but not too old!

So what does this 15 year reunion mean to me? What has happened in the last 5 years since I've seen a lot of these people?  Some I'm seeing for the first time in 15 years.  A few are gone and I'll never see them again while on this earth.

Fifteen years ago, I thought that I would be married to my high school boyfriend, have a few kids, and be working as a physical therapist. My how college and real life changes things!!  I know I started to gain weight during my junior year of high school. Lots of different things were going on and just making a lot of bad choices.

Five years ago was our last reunion. I was a newlywed. My husband and I had a decent time at the reunion, aside from the unwelcome comment of "are you pregnant?" that I got, while I was drinking a beer. (Yes, people need to learn tact.  And I can't even blame the small town closemindedness in this case.)  I was overweight at that point, and probably had being healthy in the back of my mind.  I now have 2 kids, a career that I can feel passionate about (at the right moments).  I feel I have a lot more stability in my life.

And my life today.... I wouldn't change a thing.  I have a wonderful husband, beautiful kids, a great family and friends... I've been running 3 miles on my workouts to get ready for a 10K.  When I started out on my healthiness journey, I had no idea that I'd have the desire to run a 10K.  Or even be able to run a race a month.  And I'm running the distance of a race with no problem. I may not be the fastest, but I finish.

One of my favorite quotes lately is:
Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending ~ Maria Robinson
This is how I've been living my life. Where I was at 15 years ago, it's shaped me, but it's definitely not who I am today.  I look forward to chatting with some old friends and sharing some memories.  A few drinks, lots of laughs, making new memories.  I don't have ripped abs, but I don't think I look pregnant.  I'm not one to be living in the past.  And who knows where I'll be at in another 5 years? I am hoping to be healthier and thinner. I hope I've run a half marathon with some of my closest friends.  I hope I have continue to have healthy children. I hope to see some of the same people at our 20th reunion (I think I do anyway!)  And I hope I keep looking forward.

1 comment:

  1. I hope that you have a terrific reunion. It's funny...as the years go on, the things that used to matter, matter less. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete