There was an error in this gadget

Saturday, September 3, 2011

Hitting refresh

It's been a couple of weeks since I last blogged.  August always seems to be a busy month around our house.  I've started this blog entry several times and it's evolved each time I get into it, but hasn't been finished until now.

For starters, I took my boys camping to Star Lake BY MYSELF! I didn't believe that I could handle taking the boys out in the woods alone.  I had help from some friends and that made all the difference.  I need to be in the woods each year, listening to mother nature, being unplugged from all things that are distracting.  Being at Star Lake is good for my soul, as cliche as that sounds. And it's an experience you have to find yourself. It's really one that I can't truly explain.  When your soul feels it, you'll know what I'm talking about, wherever you are.  Whether it's the feeling of spirituality with your God, or the oneness with nature.  What I feel is a quiet and peace that I need and can only get when I'm up there.

When I got back from camping, I decided to juice.  My friend Cassie told me about this juicing reboot she tried. I thought I'd try it myself. ***Disclaimer: I am not encouraging or discouraging anyone from doing a juice detox or reboot. I would encourage anyone to talk to their own health care provider about health concerns.****  So for about 3 days, I drank juice from raw veggies. It was carrots, beets, spinach, kale, swiss chard, green apples, ginger root, celery and lemon.  I did different varieties and they didn't taste so bad.  The outcome I was looking for was something that would help my psoriasis.  Maybe give me more energy.

What I got was congestion and increased mucus.  Was it a coincidence?  That I don't know. There was also a knot that I've had in my right shoulder for years that disappeared. I've seen massage therapists, chiropractor, and my own provider about it.  I swear to you it's gone.  Was it toxins?  I don't have an answer, but it's gone.

Despite being congested and mucusy (is that a word?), I decided to run the 5K for Arthritis on Aug 27th.  I did ok, but had a hard time breathing at the end from all the symptoms I was having. My time was decent, around 45 mins, and I have hope that I would've had a faster time had I been able to breathe as normal.  I later had a Navy family picnic with more coughing and feeling tired.  By the time Monday rolled around, I decided to go to my clinic.

Bronchitis. Not good.  More coughing... more rest needed, meds.... all the stuff I really wanted to hear.  *sigh*  It's a good reminder to me that I do need to slow down at moments.  And I literally had to catch my breath.  Today I'm on day 6 of my meds and I'm finally starting to feel like I'm getting back to my normal self.

I have my next race for the 10th Anniversary of 9/11 and my awesome husband is going to run his first 5K with me!  Not sure if he'll stay with me or go ahead. I'm used to running alone, but I want him to feel good about this race as well.  That day will have a different kind of meaning for him than it will for me.  And for me it'll be about the sacrifices that military spouses and families give.  And I'm hoping the next blog entry I write will be about that race and that I'll have a great time to write about!




No comments:

Post a Comment