There was an error in this gadget

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Here... and There

Where have I been? I haven't been blogging in quite some time. I've been here... just not *here* on this blog.  I've thought of so many entries and just haven't been able to get them to make it *here*.  So what makes today so special?

Progress. The other day (one of those, "I should write a blog post about this" days), I stopped in my tracks and looked around. I initially felt frustrated. I was on lunch and had to change my route because the streets were all torn up for the light rail. I was late for work earlier because of a two block detour. Talk about annoying.

Then I stopped again and the word "progress" came to mind. This inconvenience was progress, to make our lives better in the end.

How much progress have I made?  How will I keep making progress?

A year ago, I began to be more serious about my running. I signed up for all these 5K's thinking it was going to get me in the best shape of my life. That would happen, right?  I got on the treadmill over lunch, I changed my eating habits, I was tracking (or trying to).  These are all the things you're "supposed" to do, right?  And I did all those races and more!  And I was trying to do all these things while working full-time and being a wife and mother.

Over the last couple months, I've been very complacent and don't feel like I'm making much progress. I was injured and resting and going to physical therapy. I've been sick. And I've made a number of excuses.  I used the resting during my injury as an excuse to not do any form of exercise.  I'm also not the greatest at tracking my food, and did none of that.

But today, the sun is shining, I was outside without a jacket and I went to packet pickup for the Get Lucky 7K that I'll be running next week.  And I've only gone for one run since my last race.  So what did I do at packet pickup? I signed up for a 10K in September!! On September 1st to be exact.  And why did I do that?

During that one run I've done, I got bit by the running bug again. And I decided it's time I make some more goals so that I can progress on this journey I've started. I now want to run a 10 miler and a half marathon. THIS YEAR.  I felt so good while running and I totally missed it.  This year, I want to see how much further I can push myself with distances.  A good friend keeps telling me to accomplish the distance first and worry about time later.  I need to remember this and I know I'll be more likely to stick with my goals.

I am hoping to blog much more to keep myself accountable and get some motivation. It helps me to know that people are reading this and contact me to give me some encouragement or feedback. Two little boys that call me Mom are the ones that always come first and I am still struggling with that.  With how much my husband works and how few people there are to watch my boys, I know I just have to make the time that I have work for me.  I envy those people who are able to workout, get thin, run fast and blog. But I live my life the way that I know how.

Now my goal for my next post is to write about the race which I'm hoping will be about me beating the time from last year.

Stay tuned!

1 comment: