There was an error in this gadget

Saturday, June 30, 2012

I'm Trying

You'll never know, unless you try, right? There are so many things I'm trying. I'm trying to figure out how to make blogging fit into my life. I'm trying to get into a routine with a new gym membership. I'm trying to adjust to stress in our home. I'm trying to eat cleaner.  I'm trying to be a faster runner.  I'm trying to deal with my psoriasis without using medications.

One thing I'm proud to be trying is pole dancing, which should really be named pole fitness. I just completed 7 weeks of it, and my instructor sure knows how to kick someone's ass.  And I'm thankful, because I'm seeing results.  Did you know there's talk about making it an Olympic sport? Keep in mind that table tennis and curling are Olympic sports!

What drew me to pole was looking at videos online and seeing how much strength goes into it, using your own body weight. I decided that's how fit I want to be. Just fit enough to support my own weight, whether it's on a vertical pole or getting over and around obstacles.  I found this class through a friend who is taking a dance class there.

Now, the first impression many  people get about pole is about strippers and using the pole as a symbol of the male body.  That's great for some people, but that's not what I am after at all.  My first day I could hardly  lift myself up into what is like a pull up.  My hands were super sweaty, as was my entire body.  I found a sweat drying product for my hands and I can't tell you just how much it helps with my grip!  I can now get up on the pole so much better, but it's definitely a progressive sport.  There is a lot of upper body and core strength involved. A LOT!  And lots of bruising is expected, which I have taken pictures of.  It's not just all spinning either. There are static tricks and floor work for when you get dizzy from the spins.

My running has been on the back burner. I have a 5K race on July 15th, The Color Run. I'm so excited to try this different type of race!  I went to the gym earlier this week, and again today. I found out how much I missed the gym and working out and trying the different machines that I used to spend so much time on. I remember how much progress I made by my frequent visits, and now I'm trying to get back to that place.  I'm training to make sure that I can run the whole race, but if anything, finish in a better time than my last 5K race.

What else am I trying to do? I'm trying to detox my home and myself. I've started making my own laundry detergent, made my own moisturizer, using more vinegar to clean, and I'm even using apple cider vinegar (ACV) on my scalp psoriasis!  Oddly enough, the ACV has been working and I no longer itch as badly!  I continue to have scales, but they really are not as bad as before. May people differ on the ratio of ACV to water that they use, and I'm about a third ACV to 2/3rds water. I keep a bottle in my shower and refill as needed.

Clean eating... I had decided to get half a CSA share this year. For those who have never heard of a CSA, it stands for Community Supported Agriculture. I like to think of it as buying a share of a farm, and reaping the bounty while someone else does all the work.  What I'm not able to eat, I'll try and juice so as not to waste. And I'm hoping to get better at freezing things too.  Lots of greens are from this farm and they are all yummy!

A year ago, I made a goal to be Navy fitness ready. I'm not there. But I'm not giving up and I'm going to keep trying to work towards that goal. And this time, I'm actually making more of an effort and not just a plan in the back of my head.  For me, I think it's important to acknowledge past goals. It helps me change things when I haven't reached that goal.

As I write all this out, it sounds like so much that I'm trying.  And what I keep trying to tell myself too, that it's all baby steps. One thing at a time and I'll get there.  And I'll try to blog about it to share with my friends and readers. 

What new things are you trying?

No comments:

Post a Comment