There was an error in this gadget

Saturday, August 18, 2012

Listening

I've been going to the gym pretty diligently since joining. My personal training sessions have been great and I've even noticed some changes in my body.  I was able to put on a pair of jeans a size smaller and they weren't tight!  But I'm also learning how to better listen to my body.

I wish I could work out every day. I am one of those who can get lost in the gym if I'm not bored. I could easily bike for an hour or be on the treadmill for miles or use the weight machines for rep upon rep until my muscles are fatigued. No one's watching me and wondering what I'm going to do next. None of my kids are asking me a million questions.  Phones aren't ringing, dogs aren't barking... it's just me and my thoughts and focus.

And it's because of my kids and other commitments that I can't spend all those hours in the gym. It's also because of the one thing that I need to be listening to more than anything, my own body.  I took two days off in a row this week because I was too tired to go to the gym at 8pm.  The days off paid off because I was able to get better workouts in and burn more calories when I did work out.  I know that resting my body also was a mental rest as well.  There are times when I think too much while working out.  I look at my HRM to make sure my heart isn't beating too fast.  I watch my feet to make sure that I'm using the right foot plant.

I know when I am working out, I need to listen to my body.  I can tell when my heart rate is climbing, when it's becoming more difficult to breathe.  And sometimes things hurt and I just have to stop so that I don't re-injure myself.

Fear of another injury was the big drive behind my decision this week to not try the 2nd 10 Miler I wanted to do.  It's only 2 weeks after the first one I have on Sunday Oct 7th.  It sounds like a long time, but it really isn't.  A friend of mine was my "voice of reason" as she put it.  Sounds like fun, but I just don't want to risk it.  and there's always next year!

My goal for the coming week is to have one workout where I just go and not worry about the calorie burn, or the other devices.  I want to just go workout and be able to listen to what my body is telling me.

What is your body saying to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment