There was an error in this gadget

Sunday, September 16, 2012

Warrior Dash 2 - short recap

A little bit late on this post, but better late than never, right?  Life has been crazy with kids starting school, a husband overseas with Navy training, and trying to get workouts in.  Doesn't leave much time at all for blogging.

I ran my 2nd Warrior Dash on Saturday, September 8th.  This time was at a horse stable rather than a ski hill. I really enjoyed this one much better!

I was there with 3 other friends.  I carpooled with Bill and it was a good thing at $20 a car to park!! I didn't know how much I wanted to actually run this time around and I kept thinking to myself, "Why did I decide to do this?"  I didn't have much opportunity to get workouts in.  Luckily 2 of my friends, Jesse and Angie, said we'd take it easy.  They had both already done races earlier in the day.  Crazy kids!  And we told Bill to run if he wanted. He'd find us at the finish.

So we were in the 2:00pm wave and started to run just a little bit, more or less to get a feel of what pace we wanted to do.  It wasn't very crowded which was nice.  The first obstacle was mud, of course. Luckily it was only about a waist deep and lots of wading through, jumping up, wading through... you get the idea!  I can't really remember the exact order of the obstacles, but I can tell you that I was quite thrilled that this year I could actually lift myself over all the walls before crawling under barbed wire.  I know last year I didn't have the upper body strength to lift myself over them, and went around most of them.  I was so happy and proud of myself!  This one didn't have the rope wall climb, which I had started to go up, then had to go around last year.  I do wish I could have done that one this year, just to see if I could do it.

The rest of the obstacles were more mud, ropes, jumping over fire, and more mud and barbed wire.  I actually don't mind crawling through mud, but some of the mud pits were very sandy and I ended up with scrapes.  I like to say that I earned them!

My professional pictures are not very good this year, but it was so much more fun than last year at the ski hill!  We had also heard that they turned the course around out there, which would have made it so much easier!  Nevertheless, it's definitely a fun obstacle course.  I'm hoping to get the hubby out there next year, and so far he's agreed!

What I like about obstacle courses is that they break up the run, and you can also see how strong  your entire body is.  I remember my trainer Tanya telling me that she was trying to build up my endurance.  She wasn't just trying to kill me!  And she did a great job!  I truly felt like I could do the obstacles and not feel all tired out.  It was more the running/jogging that did a good job at that!

So why did I decide to do this?  Besides hanging out with great people, it reinforces one of my goals. I want to be able to support my own body weight.  I want to be able to do some crazy athletic moves on a pole, to do pull-ups, to lift myself over obstacles... I don't care about what my jean size is or what number the scale says.  If I'm able to lift myself at 120 pounds or 140 pounds or 160 pounds, I don't really care.  And I don't care what the BMI chart says.  This is MY goal and my own definition of health and fitness.  And I'm going to keep working at it.

Next race, the Twin Cities 10 Miler. I still can't believe that I'm doing it...


2 comments:

  1. Sounds like it was a fun one & kudos on those walls.... I may never make it over those! I'll have to keep this one on my radar for next year cause I was eyeing some girls in their t-shirts earlier this summer and was jealous I missed out:-)Nice mindset also, it's all about how you feel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job on the race! Keep focused on your awesome goals. I like how you are doing this for YOU!

    ReplyDelete