There was an error in this gadget

Saturday, October 20, 2012

My first 10 miler

I've started and stopped writing this post numerous times, and I just couldn't finish it. I seemed to have talked the topic to death, but I feel I need to include it in my blog. And that is about running a 10 Mile race!

I did it!! I ran in the Medtronic Twin Cities 10 miler!!! I am 10 miler finisher. But it wasn't as easy to get there as I thought it would be. My biggest concern was building up mileage since my longest run before that was the 10K last year. And I was not consistently running that type of distance.

September started with my husband being out of the country doing Navy work. Not usually a big deal except I had no idea how to get to the gym.  I managed to get there four times while he was gone. I was so grateful that my gym was having another Body Blast session when he got back. I didn't hesitate to sign up for it.  I guess I was the only one who couldn't wait since I was the only one in the class.  So I got a lot of work in and it was one-on-one. I think it really helped me prepare for the 10 Miler.  Then when I could, I took to running around Lake Phalen.  Unfortunately I was having piriformis issues on my right side and really didn't want to aggravate things.

During the week of Body Blast there is no class on Friday. I planned on running 6 miles, twice around the lake. I had such a horrible time and cried afterward. I felt like such a failure. I accomplished the distance, but didn't feel fast enough. And all I could think was, "what is wrong with me?" And I meant that in two different ways. Had I become *THAT* girl who cried over a bad time despite accomplishing the distance? And I was upset that I wasn't as fast as I wanted to be so what was wrong with me that I couldn't get faster?

I posted on my Facebook about it and got back lots of words of encouragement. It gave me something to think about. I put it behind me and moved on. I kept on training.

The Friday before the race, I wanted to do the 6 miles again.  I didn't want to think about the horrible time from before.  This time I felt so much better and had a faster time! Not by much, but it was faster, I felt better and it brought me the confidence I needed before the race on Sunday.  I knew I was going to have a good race.

Race day I woke up early and had to make the shuttle bus to the Metrodome in Minneapolis. This course runs from the Metrodome in Minneapolis to the State Capitol in Saint Paul.  Luckily I had gotten everything set out the night before, something that I don't always do!  I didn't realize that I would have to wait in such a long line. It was really cold out, somewhere around 30's degrees F.  When I got to the Dome, I only had to wait about 10 minutes before the race started at 7:09am.  The sun was barely up.

The first mile I took easy.  Of course I got passed by a lot of people and that doesn't bother me anymore.  But I was done with that first mile before I knew it! We were along the Mississippi River and it was beautiful!  Autumn is my favorite season and there were lots of fall colors.  I was feeling good. I was cold, but my shins and my hips didn't hurt, which was important to me.  Miles 2 and 3 passed before I knew it and I was really making good time!

Going into Mile 4 I realized I was under an hour!  The two times I've run a 7K (4 mile) race, I haven't been under an hour! I was really excited by this! It gives me hope if I decide to run the 7K race again in March!

Mile 5, it hit me. I had to stop and use a biffy. I didn't want to chance my bladder and I was halfway done and still feeling good, but of course I was cold.  So I stopped.

If you've never used a biffy before in 30 degree F weather, I do not recommend doing it in the middle of a race! Trying to put my clothes back on was a lot harder than I ever imagined it would be. After that I felt I was unable to pick my pace back up. I stayed cold and I really think it affected my muscles.

Soon I was running along Summit Ave.  More people were out "cheering", but it's funny how few people cheer for you unless they're part of a group. The water stops had so many people cheering and I really appreciated it!  Even if I wasn't getting water, the people showed lots of enthusiasm.

Mile 8 I was passed by the wheel chairs. I was told to expect this and man were they ever fast! Heading into the finish I started feeling tired, but the people cheering helped so much!  At this point there were about 3 or 4 people around me, but there wasn't anyone I felt I just *had* to beat. I just wanted to finish!

My official time was 2:38:44.  I was really hoping to come under 2:30 and would have loved to come under 2 hours!  There's always next year...  And yes, I will try and run this race again!

I'm so glad I had remembered to pack extra sweat pants!  I was lucky to find my friend Angie and then able to call my husband to find me.  Luckily it wasn't crazy busy at the finish line. I even got a complimentary finish line pic from Target.

Thanks Target! I was cold and tired!


And here's a close up of the medal:

Even got this medal engraved!

The rest of the day I took it easy, but ended up with back spasms the next day.  Really had to take it easy then. I haven't run more than 2 miles since, but I have been working out and lifting more. AND I also decided to enter the lottery to run a half marathon on my 35th birthday next summer!  Wish me luck!

I am so grateful for my cheerleaders along the way, those that inspire me, and even those that doubt me. I want to inspire others, but I also want people to realize it's about their own attitudes that will "make it or break it" for them!  Don't be afraid to share because you'll probably find someone going through the same thing.  It helps me to know people can relate.

Until next post, be well!


No comments:

Post a Comment