There was an error in this gadget

Sunday, January 13, 2013

13 Races in 2013

13 in 2013 means so many things right now.  So much that I want to really accomplish.  And so much centered around turning 35.  Yes, it's just a number, and yes, it's just another year.  But to me, it means so much to my happiness and being able to declare - to myself - that this is what I wanted to do before turning 35 years old.  My husband calls it my 35 list, much like a bucket list.  I don't have everything on this list written down.  It's more or less something I keep in the back of my head.  But what I have written down, is my 13 races for this year.

There is one race that I haven't quite decided if I can't afford to do this year, and that's the Ragnar Relay.  At this point, it's more a no than a yes.  Besides cost, there's the whole "finding a team" thing to consider.  The team I thought I was going to be on didn't quite work out.  But, there's still time to count this race since it isn't until Aug 16th.

Here is my list:


  1. January 31st -- Sandy Hook ElementaryVirtual Race.  I don't have to explain this one.  I missed the bib and the medal, but I won't miss my chance to do my little bit.
  2. March 16th -- Get Lucky 7K. This will be my 3rd year running this. I'm really determined to beat my times from the last two years! I know I can!  And I like the Team Ortho events.
  3. March 24th -- Irish Run Saint Paul 8K. I've never run this race, but a coworker is trying to form a corporate team. Sounds like fun and the cost is right! 
  4. April 21st -- Challenge Obesity 5K. This will be my 3rd year running this one too. I love this organization who puts on these Challenge events. Gary is very inspiring and always says hi to me. The name of the race says it all, for why I will keep participating for years to come.
  5. May 27th -- Challenge Hearts and Minds 5K. Yes, another from Charities Challenge. What can I say?
  6. June 22nd -- Garry Bjorklund Half Marathon. This is my big race that I'm looking forward to. I'll be that person who runs a half marathon on her 35th birthday (who does that???)!  My goal of 13.1 in 2013!  But... I need to get in first.  It's a lottery.  Wish me luck!!  My first half marathon and I'm pretty dang excited about it!
  7. July 14th -- The Color Run. My 2nd year doing this one, but this time it'll be with Sarah who I'll get to finally meet in real life when she comes to visit Minnesota!  You could say she's my Indiana bestie.  We met through the Fat to Fit Pack and she is also on her own healthiness journey.
  8. August 24th -- Challenge Arthritis 5K. And yes, another Challenge race.  But this one is more personal to me, and for those I know who were diagnosed with Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis.
  9. August 31st -- Women Rock 10K.  I ran this race last year, and the course was really nice and scenic along the Mississippi River in Saint Paul.  I'm hoping to beat my time last year, and that there isn't a shin splint during the first mile again.
  10. September 7th -- Warrior Dash. My 3rd time as a Warrior. I really like this course much better than the one in June.  It was still a lot of work, but it wasn't 100 degrees out!  And maybe it was just the good company of Jesse, Angie, and Bill last year. :)  This year, the hubby is going to do it with me!  Well, hopefully he'll stay by my side. 
  11. October 6th -- Medtronic TC 10 Miler. Lottery dependent. I will likely run the Medtronic TC 1 Mile to try and get a guaranteed entry into the 10 Miler.  And again, I want to beat my time from last year. 
  12. October 26th -- Monster Dash Half Marathon. I've been wanting to do this race for quite some time. I may just end up doing the 10 Miler instead of the Half, but I'll have to see how training and races go this year.  Another Team Ortho event.
  13. November 10th -- Veterans Day 5K. Yet again, another Charities Challenge race. The reason I run this one is also quite obvious.  I stand behind our military and not just as a military wife.


One wonderful thing that happened the other day as I was Facebooking about my races and the costs, was that my friend Shaun "sponsored" me for a couple races.  Totally unexpected and most definitely appreciated!  What had happened is I was joking that I needed a commercial sponsor so that I could afford all the races.  He said it's his "pay it forward" so that I can reach my goal for this year.  I'm touched, and feel quite blessed with all the support all my friends have given me along this journey.  So thank you Shaun, and thank you to all of you supporting me.

I'd love to know if you'll be at any of the races too!  These races could change at any point of course and I'll try and update as I am able.  I'll be doing my best to blog along the way!

3 comments:

  1. Yeah! I want to do 13.1 in 2013 too! Let's do it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be at the Garry Bjorklund half marathon:) I ran it last year and survived so I figured I'd do it again lol
    Myra

    ReplyDelete