There was an error in this gadget

Sunday, January 27, 2013

What's the rush?

Life as a mom, there are so many days when it's RUSHRUSHRUSH to get everything done, and yet there's always something that gets forgotten.  I know I'm not alone in feeling this way.  Here's what a busy weekday for me looks like:

  • Wake up after hubby has already left for work. Go get boys out of bed, usually taking a good amount of cajoling for about 5 mins.  Eventually get everyone dressed and out of the house, drop boys off at daycare, get to work.
  • Eat breakfast, drink coffee throughout morning and eat lunch and work eight hour day.
  • Leave work, pick up boys from daycare unless hubby has been able to work eight hours, listen to lots of questions, say no a bunch of times.
  • Let dog out and feed him and make dinner waiting for hubby to get home.  Some days I'm making a dinner for the family and one for myself.  Dishes, laundry, that whole bit.
  • Get to gym, sometimes by 6:30. but usually later unless meeting trainer at 7pm each Wednesday.  Work out.  Leave gym anywhere from 8:30-9:00, depending on when I got there.  Hubby has put kids to bed.
  • Get home, shower, read book or watch tv usually have a post-workout snack. Usually I'm asleep by Midnight.
Phew! Compared to some moms, this isn't much at all. But when I'm busy, I'm busy and it seems like so much work to get to the gym or make a healthy meal for myself.  I try to do some meal planning and I also have my rest days from the gym.  For the most part, I know we are a busy family.

I've also learned to appreciate this busyness and what I've figured out is that even though I think I'm rushing so much, am I really?

Lately, I've been blowing through soo many books on my Kindle!  There was even a day that I rushed to the gym so that I could even finish reading Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire.  I was at the end of the book and just had to finish it, but also needed to get to the gym!  An hour later on the stationary bike and I was done!!  (I'm also in love with Travis Maddox btw and can't wait for Walking Disaster from his point of view!) Some of the other books I've done this with are:
  • Thoughtless and Effortless by S.C. Stephens
  • The Secret of Ella and Micha by Jessica Sorensen
  • Rock Stars Do It series by Jasinda Wilder (she's one of my absolute fave authors!)
  • Easy by Tammara Webber
  • Where I Need to Be by Kimberly Knight
I think I've been reading a book about every other day, if not going through a book a day.  I'll get to the gym, plug in the music so I can focus and just read and read.  I can do this on the treadmill between running, on the bike and also the stair climber.

And the maybe not so crazy thing is that I don't feel guilty when I'm rushing to the gym to do some exercise and read my books.  Yes, I have to stop when I'm lifting weights or running, but I'm happy with my gym routine. And that's because I've fit it in.  I used to have the excuse that I didn't have time for the gym or workouts, but that was really a crappy excuse.  I had time to spend dinking around on the computer or watching tv.  I wish I didn't have to go to the gym so much later in the day, but it works for me!  I spend time with my kids and they also get a little bit of "Daddy time" while I'm gone.

So am I really rushing?  Even though I feel like it, I realize, I'm not overly stressed out.  I have moments of course, but overall, I am enjoying life and I have such a good attitude compared to a couple years ago.  For those that feel like they're rushing all the time, ask yourself why you feel that way.  Is it something that you can change?  Do you need to tweak something, make a compromise with someone?  And also realize, that you aren't alone in how you're feeling.  You may be rushing for a completely different reason than the next person AND THAT'S OKAY!  But remember to slow down every once in a while so the little things in life don't pass you by.  Unless you're rushing to get to the end of the book cuz I always have to know the ending.








1 comment:

  1. I applaud all working moms! I just can't fathom balancing all off that in one day plus having time for yourself. Bravo.

    Reading while on the treadmill? I could never do that! I get dizzy and the words get blurry.

    ReplyDelete