There was an error in this gadget

Thursday, February 14, 2013

I'm a Slim Down Challenge Contestant!

***Disclaimer: I am not compensated for my blogging experience during this contest.  Everything I choose to write is my own experience.***

Some super exciting news!  It was officially announced on February 4th, that I am one of ten contestants in the Seattle Sutton's Healthy Eating Slim Down Challenge.  I've been meaning to blog about all this for some time, but life happens, family emergencies happen, and we do what we have to do.

First question I seem to get asked is: How?  Well, I entered.  As simple as that.  The contest was no secret.  It was advertised on their Facebook page as well as their main website.  Along with the basic questions, I had to write a little bit about myself as to why I wanted them to choose me, what was my story and submit a picture of myself.  Pretty easy, right?

After I sent in my entry, I ended up getting a phone call about 2 or 3 weeks before the start.  It was from Brandi who interviewed me and told me a bit more about the contest.  I then had to wait until the week before the contest start for another phone call.  I was really really hoping for it to work out!  And it did.  I got the phone call, but couldn't tell anyone publicly on social media.

The morning of the challenge kickoff were met at a local tv studio.  That was pretty exciting of course.  We had a meeting, met the other contestants, had our "Before" pictures taken, our starting weights, and some blood work.  Oh and a brief interview on camera that would be used during the commercials.  I was a little nervous and I talk with my hands when I am.  We'll see how that works out. LOL!

After all this, we had to wait even longer during the day to tell everyone publicly (i.e., on Facebook and Twitter) that we had been chosen.  Immediately people were wishing me luck and congratulating me!  You can check out contestant information here.

The contest is 14 weeks long.  We are eating the meals that Seattle Sutton's Healthy Eating makes.  We do not pay for the meals.  We do have weigh-ins about once a month and we will also have radio and tv ads.  The person who loses the highest percentage of body weight is the winner.

Next question I usually get: How's the food?  In all honesty, it's DELICIOUS! I was already making a lot of healthier choices so much of it was no big surprise to me.  I didn't have to get used to a new flavor for the most part.  This is REAL food!  It's all portioned out for me, and I'm definitely finding out that portions were my biggest struggle. As much as I work out in the gym, I guess I was also eating too much for weight loss. (But I have lost 3.5% body fat since joining the gym.)  When I say real food, I pick up the meals on Mondays and Fridays afternoons.  Nothing is frozen!  I get fresh fruits!  And you know how quickly that can spoil.

I know there are tons of more questions out there, and I am happy to answer them the best that I can.

One final thing I will say... 14 weeks is NOT a long time when you are on a weight loss/healthiness journey.  I know this.  I also know that the weight I do lose during this contest, is not going to be ALL the weight that I NEED to and want to lose.  I will still need to do work afterwards and I'm committed to that.  I'm so grateful for this opportunity!  I can't say that enough!  But this contest, it's just another path along the way towards my healthier life.  And it's definitely already jumpstarted a weight loss for me.  I lost eight pounds the first week!  I know I won't have that kind of loss every week, but being consistent in the 100's now has been an awesome feeling.

And the books I read this week: I received an ARC of Beautiful Bastard by Christina Lauren. I also read Taking Chances by Molly McAdams. I ugly cried starting at 56% until about 89% I swear.  I loved the book, but I can't put myself through that kind of emotion again.  My playlist this week included Fu-Shnickens, Missy Elliott, Eminem, and One Direction.  Quite the mix!

Until next time... Be well!

2 comments:

  1. You will be surprised how much can change in 14 weeks!!! You are gonna rock it lady!!!! Hope you dad is doing better I have been lifting you all in prayer xoxoxo I am always here for motivation or if you just need to vent ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks love! I'm definitely committed to working hard! We'll just have to see what happens! xoxo

      Delete