There was an error in this gadget

Monday, April 15, 2013

Why Boston Matters to Me

Source credit: Unknown. Taken from Facebook.
Today started out as an exciting day with a weigh-in for the contest. But that isn't what I want to talk about today. I want to talk about running. I want to talk about why this set of events has affected me.
I was excited to hear the results for the Boston Marathon today. But explosives at the finish line? What.The.Hell?

In order to be successful at something,  I truly believe you need to have support. When I started running I was slow and didn't really know much. Here I was this short legged chick who weighed over 200 pounds.  I found a group of runners through social media. Through Twitter,  Facebook,  and blogging, I got tips and most of all I got encouragement and love. These people I'd never met in real life for the most part, but they cheered me on from start to finish. They understand shin splints, underpronation, sub-40, PR, tempo, pace, chip time, gun start, water stops, miles, meters, 5K, 10K, 13.1, 26.2.... there's no judgment.  I'm not an elite runner and it doesn't matter at all to those people who also run for the fun of it and to make it across the finish line.  I get high fives and congratulations.  Yes, there's competition,  but the biggest competitor is the one in the mirror.

Whenever I'm at a race, I see smiles and encouragement.  As I get lapped, I get smiles and I'm told "Good job".  Course marshalls, volunteers,  those handing out medals... Everyone is cheering and you believe when you cross the finish line that everything you gave... every breath, every second, every blister, every black toenail, and every sore muscle was worth it to get there across that finish line.

This runner is shaken up. This community is shaken. The thing we love to do, is it possible that it's no longer safe? Could our biggest supporters be at risk?  I hope and pray that whatever low life has done this sees that we still stand behind each other.

I'm sad and I'm angry.  But I haven't given up.  I'll keep running because it's what I love to do. I know I'll meet up with others who also haven't given up. We'll see each other at the finish line.

Boston, here's my 2.62 tonight for you. As I blog and run and walk and attempt to feel normal, this is me, thinking of you.

3 comments:

  1. This was very nicely written, I see why it has such high traffic! : )-Carolyn

    ReplyDelete